Truck driving can be dangerous. Not all motorists on the road are aware of how their maneuvers impact drivers, and driving a truck can be exhausting.
There’s many tips to keep in mind while driving—here are 15 tips for truck drivers.
- Leave enough space for the vehicle driving in front of you. Tailgating puts you at risk for collisions.
- Leave plenty for room for braking. The larger the rig, the longer it takes to make a full stop.
- Use signals early and often. Give motorists time to know what direction you’re intending to go. Allow your blinker to blink five times before changing lanes.
- While driving below the speed limit, use flashers to signal to other drivers your lower speeds.
- Use brake lights early, in order to let motorists know you’re stopping, well ahead of time.
- Keep windows closed so you are not exposed to exhaust fumes while idling.
- Use your flashers, reflective triangles, and road flares when on the side of the road, in order to signal to other drivers where you are.
- Use tire chains in mountainous regions.
- Leave extra space for vehicles in front of you when operating in snow or rain.
- Exercise caution in work zones.
- Take breaks, and catch up on sleep if needed. It’s crucial (and far safer to drive) if you are alert. Take the time to rest if you need to.
- Use the “three points of contact” rule—always have three extremities touching the vehicle upon entering and exiting, such as two hands and one foot, or one hand and two feet.
- Always position yourself properly in the vehicle. Make sure you’re comfortable in your driver’s seat—make sure that the steering wheel, backrest, and seat height are adjusted properly.
- Wear comfortable clothing.
- Watch out for your blind spots: slightly in front of the cab off to the side, behind side mirrors, and right behind the truck.
Ultimately, taking care of yourself is the best tip for driving safely.
Getting enough sleep, wear comfortable clothing, exercise and take enough time off—this will help you to stay successful in your driving career.
Did you know that we’re hiring drivers? Head on over to drive4evans.com and fill out our easy online application!