Americans hear a lot about the trade deficit. Indeed, for many people, the phrase “Made in America” seems to reflect a bygone era as the country’s manufacturing sectors have waned with the rise of the so-called digital economy.
However, the United States is still a force to be reckoned with as far as exports go. In 2021, for instance, America sent $2,528.5 billion worth of goods and services abroad. This was a $394.1 billion increase from 2020.
So, what are the top ten commodity products that America sends overseas?
1. Pharmaceuticals – $83,339 million
Leading the list by just over $14 million, the USA’s #1 export in 2021 was pharmaceutical preparations.
2. Crude oil – $69,317 million
This is the top export for the U.S. under the Industrial Supplies and Materials category.
3. Industrial machines, other – $68,440 million
America is one of the world’s largest industrial machinery exporters, supporting automotive, construction, agricultural, electronics, packaging, and pharmaceutical industries.
4. Semiconductors – $66,098 million
Semiconductor-enabled technologies are used in cars, coffee makers, computers – and everything in between.
5. Petroleum products, other – $63,861 million
This is a $25,188 million increase from 2020.
6. Passenger cars, new and used – $53,664 million
There’s nothing like driving around the world in an American made car.
7. Other parts and accessories of vehicles – $47,411 million
U.S. manufacturers help ensure that all vehicles have what they need to run safely, efficiently, and reliably.
8. Plastic materials – $43,719 million
Another increase from 2020, this one equal to $9,439 million.
9. Electric apparatus – $42,837 million
Electric apparatus such as boards, panels, and consoles are used in various equipment and machines.
10. Medical equipment – $39,846 million
Nobody makes life-saving devices to higher standards than the U.S.
Countries all across the globe buy American-made products:
Take a look at just a few.
- Canada accounts for 17.5% of our exports
- Mexico accounts for 15.8%
- China accounts for 8.6%
- Japan accounts for 4.3%
- South Korea accounts for 3.7%
- Germany accounts for 3.7%
- United Kingdom accounts for 3.5%
- Netherlands accounts for 3.1%
- Brazil accounts for 2.7%
- India accounts for 2.3%
- Taiwan accounts for 2.1%
- Singapore accounts for 2%
- Belgium accounts for 1.9%
- France accounts for 1.7%
- Hong Kong accounts for 1.7%
- Egypt accounts for 0.3%